Dog clothing is more popular than ever before. Dressing your pup in clothes is a cute and fun way to show off his personality but outfits serve a practical purpose, too. They help to protect your dog from the elements by keeping him warmer, dryer and by providing protection from the sun. Whatever your reason for buying your pet clothes, you can get more for your money when you know how to shop smart.
Apply some of the same rules you use when shopping for yourself or for your kids when shopping for doggie clothes. This will help you make smart decisions so you'll actually put the items that you buy on your dog instead of in a drawer.
Here are a few dog clothing shopping tips that will help you shop smart:
· If you don't think she will be comfortable or happy wearing that ruffled dress, then don't buy it just because you think it's its adorable.
· Look for outfits that suit his personality. If he sits beside you during sports, a jersey with your team's logo on it would be perfect.
· Buy clothing based on where you live. You don't need a thick wool sweater if you live in Texas where the winters are mild. If you live in an area where it rains a lot, you can stock up on raincoats and boots but if not, does she really need three sets of each.
· Clothing with buttons and zippers are not good for everyday use. If it's for a special occasion and for a short period during which time you'll be watching him, they're fine. Otherwise, the dog clothes held together by Velcro is a much better buy because they are safer for your pet.
· Be sure and buy the right size clothing. Your dog needs clothes that will fit and just like most people, she can lose or gain weight frequently. Therefore, make sure you measure your dog occasionally so you can check the sizes and buy clothing that fit perfectly.
· Consider the quality of the clothing before you buy. It's better to pay a little extra for a quality outfit than it is to save a few bucks on poor quality. It'll last much longer and be safer for your pet because it won't rip and tear as easily.
· Check out sale items. When you buy on sale, you can often find many quality items for amazing prices.
Remember, just because something is on sale doesn't mean that it's a poor quality item. There are many reasons why stores put products on sale including the end of a season. It's a great opportunity for you to buy wonderful quality outfits for your dog at very affordable prices.
If your dog doesn't like wearing clothes, don't worry. You can still make your pet stand out without making him or her uncomfortable by using accessories. For example, you can buy bandanas, hair bows, bells or little bowties designed just for dogs of all sizes. You can also accessorize and show off your pet's personality through designer collars, harnesses and leashes.