Dogs, just like humans, want a soft comfortable place to lie down and stretch out when it's time to rest. Choosing the best dog bed for your pet will ensure he is happy and comfortable. Dogs can lay on sofas, chairs and even your bed but jumping up and down on furniture is not good for your pet. In addition, when your pet has his own private bed it'll give him a sense of security, provided you choose the right one for your pet.
Here are five things to look for that will help you choose the best dog bed for your pet:
1. Size- It's important to choose a size that suits your pet. The bed should be large enough for her to stretch out comfortably, yet small enough to make her feel secure. If you're buying for a puppy, look for a bed that will fit her once she is full-grown.
2. Style- The style is also very important. When choosing a style, observe your pet's sleeping habits before you shop. Some dogs curl up in a ball, some sleep on their backs and some like to hang their heads off the edge. Knowing how your dog sleeps will help you choose the style that will be the most comfortable for him. If he sleeps curled up in a ball, a bed with high thick sides would be a good choice. If he stretches out, a flat bed or one with short sides would be the most comfortable.
3. Special Needs- When your pet is up in age or if she suffers from medical problems like arthritis or hip and joint pain, a low bed that's easy to get in and out of and one with a thick cushion would be a good choice. You can buy a special orthopedic dog bed with memory foam for the ultimate in comfort for your elderly dog.
4. Durably- Look for dog beds made from strong, durable fabric so it will last longer. If you have a dog that likes to chew or dig into the cushion with his claws, you need a strong material that will hold up to this type of abuse. Otherwise, it may be in pieces within a few short weeks.
5. Cleaning Options- It's important to keep your dog's bed clean and fresh and this will be difficult to do unless you choose a fabric that's easy to clean. Look for dog beds that are machine washable or that has covers that are machine washable and it'll be easier to keep them clean. If your dog sleeps outside, look for ones made from material that you spray off with the water hose. You can usually scrub these with a mild soap and rinse for easy cleaning.
All dogs are different with unique personalities that set them apart just like humans. It's one of the reasons why they make such great pets. Dogs are very sensitive animals that love having their own special place and you can give her that with her very own doggie bed. Choosing the best dog bed for your pet will help ensure she is happy and comfortable.